In an ideal world, everyone who gets behind the wheel will be careful, safe, and considerate when they are on the road. That world has yet to be found, however, and even the best drivers out there can be struck by negligent, careless, and reckless motorists without any warning. As harrowing as this might seem, you don’t have to be left in confusion after being in a car accident, so long as you know a few basic things.
- Health comes first: After being in a car accident, before you start worrying about exchanging information and collecting evidence, make certain everyone is unharmed first. Not only will this reduce the chances of someone suffering an untreated or catastrophic injury, but others involved will appreciate your compassion, which can help calm down the situation. Keep in mind that if injury or damage is prominent, you should automatically call the authorities anyway.
- When and where matters: The fact that a car accident has occurred is not all there is going to be to it for your case. The specifics are often the deciding factor for insurance providers when pinning liability on parties, especially when and where the collision took place. Did it happen at night, in the rain, and at a busy intersection? Information like this could sway odds in or out of your favor, depending on how they are utilized.
- Simple apologies can hurt: Everyone wants to know who to blame after a car accident, especially insurance companies. Just the words “I’m sorry” can look like an admission of guilt to other parties, and the liability can shift onto you. Best to avoid apologies until your case is fully resolved.
- Recovery takes time: Even if your car accident case seems clear cut, and you are certain you will be granted a settlement in some capacity, it could take weeks for you to see any benefits. Stay patient and know that the wheels are turning. Perhaps after an accident is the time for you to call in some favors from friends and family to get rides from place to place while your vehicle is repaired?
- There is hope: Probably most importantly, do not lose hope of being able to recover the monies you need after being hit in a car accident. When you retain a professional Chicago personal injury lawyer from Boudreau & Nisivaco, LLC, you will have a team of professionals in your corner with a long record of massive successes and satisfied clients. From start to finish, we can support your claims and fight for the maximum compensation possible.
Do you want to know more? Call 312.620.1261 today and request a free consultation with our firm.