JOHN NISIVACO, PARTNER
20 Plus Years of Aggressively and Ethically Fighting For the Rights of Injury Victims
Chicago Personal Injury Attorney
John L. Nisivaco handles cases involving catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death arising from automobile and trucking accidents, train collisions, construction site injuries, medical malpractice and defective product litigation.
Throughout his career, John has obtained millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients. In 2002, John obtained a $55 million verdict on behalf of plaintiffs who were injured when they were struck by a train at a railroad crossing. The verdict is the largest railroad crossing verdict in Illinois history and was recognized by the National Law Journal as one of the top 100 verdicts in the country in 2002.
John is also well-regarded in the area of medical malpractice. John was involved in several cases before the Illinois Supreme Court regarding HMO liability, one of which resulted in a landmark decision on behalf of patients against their HMOs.
John has been named as a “ Leading Lawyer” by Leading Lawyers Network, a Division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company – an honor that is limited to the top 5% of lawyers in Illinois. He has been selected by his peers as a “SuperLawyer” since 2006. He is an invited member of the “ Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum,” which is more thoroughly explained on our firm’s blog. In 2001, he was named as one of the “ 40 Lawyers under 40 years of age to watch” by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company. In 2010, he was named as one of the “ Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by The American Trial Lawyers Association.
In addition to his practice, John is also an Adjunct Professor of Law at DePaul Law School where he has taught “Litigation Strategy” for over 10 years. In 2011, he was elected to the Board of Governors of the Illinois State Bar Association and he has been elected three times to the Assembly of the Illinois State Bar Association. He was chair of the Tort Law Section Council for the Illinois State Bar Association and the Tort Litigation Committee for the Chicago Bar Association. He is also the editor of the “ Tort Trends” publication for the Illinois State Bar Association and is a nationally recognized authority on civil trial law. In 2009, John was appointed as a Commissioner for the Lyons Township Mental Health Board.
John L. Nisivaco is the son of a Chicago Firefighter and was born and raised in the Beverly neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago.
$55,000,000 – Train crash
$8,000,000 – Medical Malpractice
$7,200,000 – Pedestrian/Auto
$3,500,000 – Boating accident
$1,800,000 – Trucking negligence
$1,465,000 – Auto accident
$1,000,000 – Medical Malpractice
$900,000 – Medical Malpractice
$750,000 – Motorcycle vs. vehicle
$525,000 – Product Liability
Received the “Trial Lawyer Excellence” Award by the Cook County Jury Verdict
Reporter in 2011 for obtaining the largest train verdict in the State of Illinois.
Selected as one of “40 Lawyers Under 40 Years Old to Watch in Illinois” by the Law
Bulletin Publishing Company (June 2001).
Named as an Illinois “Super Lawyer” – 2006 to present – by the publishers of Chicago Magazine.
Selected as a “Leading Lawyer” – 2006 to present.
Named as one of the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by The American Trial Lawyers
Association – 2010 – present.
Named as one of the “Top Lawyers in Chicago” – 2012.
Named as one of the “Top Lawyers in Illinois” – 2013.
Chicago Bar Association
- Practice Committees:
- Civil Practice (1997 – present);
- Tort Litigation Committee (1997 – present);
- Chair (2007-2008);
- Vice-Chair (2006-2007);
- Secretary (2005-2006);
- Legislative Liaison (2003-2005);
- Newsletter co-editor (2004-2005).
Illinois State Bar Association
- Secretary of the Illinois State Bar Association – elected July 2012
- Committee on Scope & Correlation – elected July 2012
- Board of Governors, member (appointed October 15, 2010 to fill the vacancy of Illinois Supreme Court Justice Mary Jane Theis; elected May 2011 and May 2014)
- Trustee – Illinois Lawyers’ Political Action Committee (LAWPAC) (appointed December 14, 2002 as one of eight trustees statewide – reappointed December 10, 2005)
- Assembly, member (elected 1998, 2001, 2006 and 2016)
- Assembly Rules and Bylaws Committee (appointed for 2002-2003)
- Assembly Program and Agenda Committee (elected 2006)
- Conference for Tomorrow’s Leaders of the Profession, attendee (April 23-24, 1999)
- Making a Critical Analysis: ISBA’s Relevance to Members, attendee (March 7, 2013)
- Section Councils & Committees:
- Standing Committee on Judicial Evaluations:
- Appointed Full Member (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003);
- Secretary (2003-2004);
- Vice-Chair (2005-2006 and 2006-2007);
- Chairperson (2008-2010).
- Appellate Panel (2012 – present)
- Tort Law Section Council:
- Editor of Tort Trends Publication (June 1999 – present);
- Secretary (2004-2005);
- Vice-Chair (2005-2006);
- Chairperson (2006-2007).
- Ex-Officio (2007-2008)
- Young Lawyers Division:
- Appointed Full Member (June 2001, 2002, 2003);
- Appointed Regional Delegate to the American Bar Association (2004).
- Standing Committee on Personnel
- Appointed Full Member (July 2015)
- Special Committee on Succession and Transition Planning
- Appointed Member (2017)
Alliance of Bar Associations for Judicial Evaluation
- ISBA Chair (2008 – 2010)
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Managers (2002 – 2010)
- Board of Advocates (1998 – 2002) (2017 – present)
- Medical Negligence Committee (1997 – present).
- Young Lawyers Committee –
- Co-Chair (1999 – 2000);
- Amicus Curiae Committee (1997- present);
- Amicus Curiae Brief – Petrovich v. Share Health Plan of Illinois, Sup. Ct. No. 85726 (holding HMO liable for negligence of plan physician under apparent agency theory) (May, 1999);
- Amicus Curiae Brief – Jones v. Chicago HMO, Ltd., of Illinois, Sup. Ct. No. 86830 (holding HMO liable under corporate negligence theory) (June, 1999);
- Amicus Curiae Brief – Neade v. Portes, M.D., Supreme Court, No. 87445 (addressing whether valid cause of action exists for a physician’s breach of fiduciary duty for failing to disclose financial incentives provided by HMO to limit or deny treatment) (June, 2000);
- Amicus Curiae Volunteer Award Recipient (1999);
- Amicus Curiae Volunteer Award Recipient (2009).
American Bar Association
- Litigation Section (1998 – 2007)
- Automobile Law Committee (1997 – 2007);
- Medicine and Law Committee (1997 – 2007);
- Toxic and Hazardous Substances (1997 – 2007);
- Training the Advocate Committee (1998 – 2005);
- Trial Practice Committee (1998 – 2007);
- Trial Evidence Committee (1998 – 2007).
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (1998 – 2007):
- Civil Procedure and Evidence Committee:
- Vice-Chair 2002-2003;
- Vice-Chair 2003-2004;
- Newsletter Editor (2003 – 2004);
- Program Committee Member (2003)
- Governmental Liability Committee.
- Young Lawyers Division:
- Appointed Regional Delegate to the American Bar Association (2004):
- Appointed as a Fellow of the ABA YLD (2005).
American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
- Advocate Member;
- Motor Vehicle Collision, Highway, and Premises Liability Section;
- DePaul University College of Law Chapter, Founder and President (1991-1993);
- Scoring Judge for Chicago Regional Student Trial Advocacy Competition (March 2006).
The Society of Trial Lawyers:
- Elected member (2005 – present).
The National Institute of Trial Advocacy:
- Advocates Association (August 2001)
Justinian Society of Lawyers (Italian-American Lawyers Association):
- Member (1998 – present).
Phi Alpha Delta National Law Society:
- Drug Education Program Chairman (1992-1993)
Trial Lawyers for Public Justice (1998 – 2006)
Illinois Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors, member – (September 2006 – present);
- Grants Committee Chair (2012);
- Scholarship Selection Committee member (2004).
- Gold Fellow (2002);
- Gala Auction Committee member (2002);
- Gala Auction Committee Chair/Co-Chair (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007);
Lyons Township Mental Health Commission
- Commissioner (appointed by Township Supervisor 2009);
Community Support Services
- Board of Directors member – (2006-2007);
- Chair – Development Committee (2007).
Chicago Injury Law, LLC is a premier injury law firm located in Chicago, IL. Our injury litigation lawyers have over 55 years of combined experience. More importantly, our attorneys have won well over $100 million dollars for injury victims. If you’ve been injured in an accident, or if you were hurt on the job, click the button below to contact our firm right away.
"I came to John Nisivaco after being in a hit and run accident as a pedestrian. It was a very tough time for me and my family. When we contacted John we felt much more at ease. The whole experience as alleviated by John and the firm. He was upfront with us and told us all of our options and possible outcomes. With the case, we were always informed about its progress in a timely manner. I'm glad we came to John because he made our experience with my injury much easier and it was settled very quickly. He also looked ahead and made sure that I would be able to handle my settlement responsibly. I would recommend John Nisivaco to anyone who is thinking about hiring a personal injury attorney."
"I just want to thank you so much for helping me get through a difficult time. I trusted you completely and you didn’t let me down. You were very professional and caring. My sister is going through a similar situation with her daughter and this incident happened over 3 years ago and she has gotten nowhere. I would highly recommend Boudreau & Nisivaco. You are the best!"
"Thank you so much for all of your help regarding my settlement! I am extremely grateful for all of your hard work and professionalism. You always took the time to answer my questions, and we knew there were many (sorry about that)! Again, a zillion Thank You's!"
"A few years ago, I used the law firm of Boudreau & Nisivaco for a work related injury and I was very impressed with their services. I received status updates in the mail and phone calls on my case as it progressed. Even after the settlement, my lawyer continued to call me to ask how I was doing. I would definitely recommend the Boudreau & Nisivaco law firm."
"We want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for representing us in our workers’ compensation claim in the most professional, knowledgeable and compassionate manner possible. You were there through the tears, the pain, and the heartache, and for that we will be forever grateful. You will always be very special to us."
Best Chicago Car Accident Lawyers According to CBS Chicago news, a car was split in half during a wreck in Arlington Heights. Per the news story, high speeds and reckless driving cause the driver to lose control of the car. The driver was taken to a local hospital...
Fatal Auto Accident in Chicago During Coronavirus NBC 5 News reported about a fatal auto accident in Chicago during Coronavirus "stay at home" orders. As we're going into the second month of mandatory shutdowns and social distancing, people are beginning to push the...
Coronavirus Lockdown Still Produces Fatal Auto Accidents According to CBS News out of Chicago, multiple people were injured in an accident that took place on the Dan Ryan Expressway. The wreck took place around 8:40 pm on Saturday. A man was thrown from his vehicle...
Contact Chicago injury law, llc
24 HOUR CONTACT FORM
If you've been injured in an accident, or if you were hurt on the job, we can help. Our law firm has decades of injury representation experience. More importantly, we've won well over $100 million dollars for accident victims. Fill out the form below to schedule a free injury consultation.
Contact Our Law Firm
Accidents can happen at any time. Attorney John Nisivaco knows that after an injury, you may have lots of questions and concerns. Please contact us for a free consultation.